H.O. Fitness - News and Advice
Serotonin.....is it in your eating plan?
Serotonin is a neurotransmitter (brain chemical), that is involved in vital body functions, regulation of mood and sleep. Eating too much starchy carbs will drop serotonin levels and unbalance blood sugars (insulin). Amino acids are the building blocks for neurotransmitter serotonin.
Low levels of serotonin could lead to depression, aggression, impulsive traits.
My top ten foods in increase serotonin
1. Free range Turkey - Tryptophan , essential amino acid
2. Flaxseed/oil -Omega 3 Fatty acid and tryptophan
3. Buckwheat - Vitamin B, high in tryptophan, B6, serotonin to the brain
4. Wild fish and seafood - salmon, mackerel, sardines, herring, high in EPA & DHA
5. Banana - high in tryptophan, carb, long chain fatty acid, increase serotonin and mood elevation (use carbs wisely otherwise you create an insulin spike) imbalance in blood sugars
6. Eggs - Omega 3 fatty acids, EPA, DHA, good cholesterol
7. Sour Cherries - The hormone melatonin, when darkness hits our eyes we being to produce melatonin. It's crucial, as it tells our adrenal glands to produce DHEA, a master hormone of the body. Melatonin is crucial for good sleep. Sour cherries actual contain melatonin, eating and drinking natural cherry juice, assists in a deeper state of sleep and supporting adrenal glandular function
8. Dark chocolate - Cocoa,(70%+) well know for lifting serotonin levels to the brain. Similarly most chocolate is deeply high in sugar and will spike blood sugar (insulin) and causing serotonin to plummet and blood sugar to crash.
9. Beef - like eggs, good source of cholesterol and tryptophan from good quality meat. veal, duck, chicken, lamb
10. Other foods, Asparagus, avocado, pecan nuts, pineapple, egg plant, spinach, walnuts.
Hot nettle tea is a great source too, mineral, vitamin C, flavanoids(antioxidant), malic acid, (Malic acid is a natural substance found in fruit and vegetables – one of the richest sources being apples. It is also naturally present in your body’s cells and large amounts of it are formed and then eventually broken down again on a daily basis. It possesses many health-related benefits such as boosting immunity, maintaining oral health, reducing the risk of poisoning from a build-up of toxic metals and promoting smoother and firmer skin.)
improving complexion. Powerful anti-estrogen and keeps testosterone up, allowing muscle to build and burn more fat.
My e-cookbook, is full of healthy eating recipes, alkaline smoothies, Breakfast, Lunches & Dinners
It's still at £17.00..... grab a copy....
Here is the link to order your Healthy cookbook "Fatloss and Fitness Solutions"